Don’t Do It! Petition
Despite the government saying that they would refuse to support ratification of the TPPA and demanding independent economic and health analyses, and promising a new inclusive approach to trade and investment agreements, the government will sign the TPPA in Chile on Thursday 8th of March.
The agreed text is still secret and we can’t see it until it is signed.
The threats to our regulatory sovereignty remain the same as with the original TPPA.
In summary, the petition calls on the Government not to sign the new Agreement, to suspend negotiations for all similar deals, not to embark on new negotiations until they have developed the inclusive and progressive approach that they promised towards deals, and engage fully with Maori on protecting Te Tiriti.
It also calls on the Parliament to pass new laws that exclude the rights of foreign investors to sue the government (ISDS), and to require independent impacts assessments on the
economy, health, human rights, the environment and climate action, and a review by the Waitangi Tribunal, prior to signing any future agreement.
You can sign the petition here: https://dontdoit.nz/
Rally at Parliament today (8 March 2018)
Mid-day outside of Parliament in protest to the government signing the TPPA-11 in Chile. The Don’t Do It! petition will be handed to MP Golriz Ghahraman of the Green Party.
The line-up of speakers includes:
– Green Party MP Golriz Ghahraman;
– Māori activist and international indigenous rights advocate Catherine Murupaenga-Ikenn;
– Generation Zero spokesperson Lisa McLaren;
– Unions Wellington organiser Ben Peterson;
– President of the New Zealand Nurses Organisation Grant Brookes;
– ActionStation campaigner Rick Zwaan;
– documentary maker Bryan Bruce; and
– TPP Free Wellington spokesperson and business owner Antony Maddock.
Sandra Grey, president of the Tertiary Education Union, will serve as MC, and Mike Pike will provide music.